The Science of Reading: Turning Theory into Practice (Presented by the LDAA) is a Course
The Science of Reading: Turning Theory into Practice (Presented by the LDAA)
Full course description
Teachers often feel at a loss to help those children who do not develop reading and writing skills on par with their peers. Understanding how literacy skills develop in children, why some children struggle to develop these fundamental skills, and what research tells us about how to best teach them, will help teachers and other school professionals bridge the gap between the science of reading and educational practice.
This eight-part webinar series was developed for educators to enhance their understanding of the key components of literacy instruction and how to implement evidence-based approaches in the classroom.
The series will lead educators through key research findings and then address each component of literacy instruction, providing teachers with tools, resources, and instructional strategies. Our panel of presenters, all experts in their fields, are committed to promoting evidence-based literacy instruction for all learners
- To review current evidence regarding the development of reading skills among children and why some children struggle with their acquisition.
- To clarify what is meant by the “Science of Reading”.
- To differentiate Structured Literacy Intervention from standard literacy instruction.
- To review the key components of reading instruction, how they are assessed, and effective instructional strategies.
- To describe ways teachers can organize their classrooms and align their teaching methods with evidence-based approaches.
- To discuss how personnel within districts and schools can implement multi-tiered systems of intervention to ensure support for all children who struggle with literacy learning.
Introduction to the Science of Reading
- September 28, 2021
- Presenter: Michele Pentyliuk, M. Ed. - Registered Psychologist & Certified Teacher
- October 19, 2021.
- Presenter: Sylvia Hannah - Reading Specialist
- November 16, 2021
- Presenter: Pam Lougheed - Learning & Literacy Specialist
- January 18, 2022.
- Presenter: Dr. R. Coranne Johnson - Registered Psychologist
- February 15, 2022
- Presenter: Kristy Dunn - University of Alberta Doctoral Candidate
- March 15, 2022
- Presenter: Nancy Musica - ESL & Gifted Consultant
- April 26, 2022
- Presenter: Michelle Smith - Registered Psychologist
Assessment Informs Intervention: Response to Intervention and Multitiered Systems of Support
- May 17, 2022
- Presenters: M. Pentyliuk & P. Lougheed with Guest Panel, Helene Hewitt & Dr. George Georgio
The cost for access to the series is $150.00 per person. A discount is available for groups over 10 people. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information group discounts prior to registering for the series. A discount can not be applied after you have registered for the series.